Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Job Ain't Nothin' But Work

by Jean Byrne



The morning’s sunshine reflects on the tables
And the holiday makers are easily
Separated from the work goers
I’m not really sure which I am
My coffee’s a little too sweet
I in no way needed this third cigarette
The interview’s soon and I’m not
Sure what they want from me
But surely they won’t give me what I want

Internship, a likely excuse to exploit
Someone as desperate as me
The bizarre situations we find ourselves in
Just to make a buck
Uncertainty feeds desperation
We’re scared and feeling grateful
To fuckers offering below minimum wage
We’ve lost it
And as a wise man once said
A job ain’t nothin’ but work”


Biography:

Jean Byrne is Irish, from Dublin, but lives in Barcelona. Byrne is a translator and has been writing for a while but has only recently started sending work out into the world. Byrne has had some pieces published on Misfits' Miscellany, Word Riot and Pif Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment